ASTRON is the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy. The ASTRON Board oversees the major decisions associated with the strategic programme of the Foundation. Current Board members are:
Executive authority at ASTRON is vested in the General Director, Prof. dr. Michael Garrett.
A telescope Programme Committee under the chairmanship of Prof. dr. Thijs van der Hulst (University of Groningen) sets priorities for allocating observing time on ASTRON's telescopes.
The General Director is advised by an international Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC).
The director of ASTRON is advised by the Science Advisory Committee (SAC) on all aspects of the institute's programme. The SAC has been appointed by the ASTRON Board on the proposal of the General Director.
The SAC meets at least once a year and consists of:
- Dr. S. Dougherty, DRAO Canada
- Dr. L.V.E. Koopmans, Kapteyn Institute
- Prof. dr. H.J.A. Röttgering, Sterrenwacht Leiden
- Prof. dr. R.A.M.J. Wijers, Universiteit van Amsterdam
- Dr. S. Bhatnagar, NRAO Socorro
- Prof. S. Tingay, ICRAR Perth
- Dr. A. Loots, SKA South Africa
- Dr. D. George, Manchester University
ASTRON operates under the umbrella of the Dutch national research council: the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, NWO, which formally also employs all its staff.