Route to the LOFAR core, Beeksdijk in Buinen (near Exloo)
The central LOFAR field is located at the small Beeksdijk, reachable from the Osdijk in the north. It is situated between the villages Buinen and Exloo.
NOTE: In case you come from the village of Exloo (south of the LOFAR core), do NOT go to Beeksdijk via Nieuwe Dijk/Regenhamsdijk – this road is not suitable for cars and buses!
Coordinates: 52.915851, 6.861858
For navigation: ‘Osdijk Buinen’.
Coming from ASTRON in Dwingeloo, return to highway A28. Route from Spier at highway A28 (42 kilometres)
- take A28 to the north direction Beilen/Assen/Groningen
- after 18 km take exit Eemshaven/Gieten
- keep right at exit 32 Assen.
- after 6 km take exit Rolde/Grolloo/Schoonloo
- at roundabout take 2nd exit direction Borger N857 (straight ahead)
- after 11 km, at roundabout take 3rd exit (go left) direction Borger N374
- in Borger village go straight ahead at all roundabouts. Follow signs to Buinen/Stadskanaal N374
- 2,5 kilometres after Borger village, take the exit ‘Buinen/Exloo’
- at end of exit go right at Lindenlaan direction Exloo - after 200 metres go left at ‘Osdijk’ and then turn right at ‘Beeksdijk’.
You will see the LOFAR antennas and the concentrator node (near a curve in the road) where you can park your car alongside the road.